Chair Lift Information
Some elderly have difficulty climbing/descending stairs. With a chair lift for stairs, you can have access to your entire home again. You no longer have to change or limit your daily routines because you cannot go up and down the stairs.
A chair lift for stairs will allow you to be independent and self sufficient. These goals are essential for your quality of life. If moving from your home is not an option or renovating your home is too expensive, a chair lift may be the answer.
Stair lifts are easily installed when the condition of the stair tread is good. The railing that the chair lift uses is attached to the stair tread. A chair lift for stairs can be both battery operated and AC power operated.
Chair Lift Key Points to Consider:
- Rail mounts to stair treads, not to wall. Stairs must be in sound condition.
- If your stairs are narrow (less than 37″) than the track distance from the wall will be a key issue. This factor is also dependent on the height of the stair lift user and their leg length.
- If you have difficulty transferring to the seat of the chair then seat height will be a key issue.
- Seat height at bottom of stairs is an important point if client is short.
- If you have lower back pain and a soft start and stop are important then DC powered residential stair lifts maybe more appropriate.
- If user is tall then seat depth of the access stair lift is important.
- Stairway must have adequate lighting at top and bottom of stairs.
- Confirm local government requirements for electrical plug.
- Track must be allowed to come all the way to the top landing and bottom landing for safe transfer to the seat of electric stair chair lifts.
How Much do Chair Lift for Stairs Cost?
There is a lot of variation among manufacturers in terms of the actual prices for chair lifts for stairs. Prices will depend also on what kind of chair lifts for stairs you are interested in purchasing and what type of stairs you have. Other factors that can affect price include whether you are buying a new or refurbished model, installation costs, and whether you will be receiving some kind of government assistance or rebate. Prices for a simple chair lift for straight stairs often range between $3000 to $4000, but for more elaborate stairways and chairs, the price can be as much as $15,000 (or even more, in some cases). For this reason, you should carefully compare manufacturers, prices and features.
Curved vs Straight Stairways
When shopping for a chair lift, type of stairs will be a large determining factor in how much you will have to pay to have your chair lift installed in your home.
In general, chair lift stairs are best if they are straight rail staircases. These are the easiest models for most chair lift manufacturers to accommodate and they will be the less expensive chair lift for stairs models you can purchase.
However, you can purchase a chair lift for winding stairs. Curved rail staircases will require individual fitting and meticulous measurements, and will incur additional pricing and material costs. Still, the freedom of mobility will likely well be worth the price for yourself or a loved one.
Your home’s structure will not hinder the installation of chair lift for stairs because the lift is installed on the stair treads. Also, there are many models and designs that would suit any home.
Installation of a chair lift for stairs is usually more than the average family would want to handle themselves. They are many reasons why stair chairs are something you may want a local expert like Barnard Mobility to install. Â For example:
- When lift is installed the trip switches tend to be the most problematic part. We provide the great care required to get your chair lift up and running.
- Trip switches are easy to damage during installation and we provide quality work.
- The footplate hitting the stairs and activating a stop switch can be common if the lift is not installed properly.
- Most manufacturers boast that their drive system is better than others. Most stair chair systems are comparable in durability. Rack and pinion, cable and chain are common. Â We will work within your budget and needs.
- Tracks require proper alignment to assure the stairway lift does not stop mid-run. Â We properly align the lift tracks for each installation.
- It is common for most stair chair models to be serviced each year to avoid break downs. Â We offer annual maintenance programs.
- If a family member is not local or available within an hours notice, a local installer like Barnard Mobility is extremely important.